- June 8, 2021
- Posted in NEWS
Ministry of Mines and Mining Development also known as the Ministry of mines is responsible for the administration of the Mines and Minerals Act (Chapter 21:05) of Zimbabwe.
Its mission is to promote sustainable exploration, mining, processing, marketing and management of mineral resources for the benefit of all Zimbabweans.
The Ministry formulates, monitors and evaluates the implementation of mining development policies which are geared to effectively account for the country’s mineral resources for the benefit of every Zimbabwean reads the Ministry website.
The Ministry of Mines and Mining Development has its key deliverable as the generation of revenue for the Nation of Zimbabwe through mining. In the whole mining value chain, the Ministry does business with a variety of external and internal clients. The Ministry makes a commitment to provide a service to the specified quality standards and within stated time limits.
Zimbabwe’s mining industry is focused on a diverse range of small to medium mining operations. The most important minerals produced by Zimbabwe include gold, asbestos, chromite, coal and base metals. The mining industry contributes approximately 8% to the country’s GDP.
Ministry of Mines and Mining Development overall functions
- Formulate mining development policies
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of mining policies
- Maintain an up to date database of Exploration and Mining Titles in Zimbabwe
- Design mechanisms geared at effective accounting for the country’s mineral resources
- Administer and review mining laws
- Attract investment in the mining industry
- Promote Beneficiation and Value Addition of mineral resources
- Explore, develop and beneficiate coal bed methane
- Promote and develop small-scale mining
- Facilitate the indigenisation of the mining sector
- Supervise and coordinate mining Parastatals and State Enterprises
The Ministry of mines has provincial offices in all provinces of Zimbabwe. These provincial offices are responsible for issuing Prospecting licenses, Mining titles and all relevant mining permits.
The current Minister of Mines and Mining Development is Hon Winston Chitando, Deputised by youthful Hon Polite Kambamura with Onesimo Mazai being the permanent secretary.
The Ministry of Mines and Mining Development head office is located at 6th Floor, ZIMRE Centre Cnr L.Takawira St/ K. Nkrumah Avenue Harare, Zimbabwe. Or telephone (263) 0242 777 022 – (263) 0242 777 029.