- July 1, 2019
- Posted in LOCAL
The Deputy Minister of Media, Information and Broadcasting Services and member of parliament for Goromonzi West constituency Hon Energy Mutodi has encouraged his constituency to block Chinese prospect in his areas citing the environmental degradation nature of quarry mining which might frustrate tourism in the near future.
Speaking to Mining Zimbabwe Hon Mutodi said the quarry extraction should not take place in his area because the mine site is located near one of Zimbabwe’s respected cultural heritage area and only tourism is therefore admirable in the area.
“The proposed quarry mining site happens to be in a cultural heritage area and only tourism is admissible in the area. The site happens to be within a kilometre from the famous Domboshava caves where tourists are thronging daily to view rock art. We are busy formulating strategies to promote tourism in the area. The pollution that is going to come with the quarry project will frustrate tourists. Only a stupid generation can ignore its history and cultural heritage to pave way for a Chinese quarry mining venture. ” said Hon Mutodi.
However, the Chinese firm China Aihua Jianye P/L said that the company has invested in modern equipment which is less noisy and reduces dusty pollution.
“It’s not about the equipment they have got. It’s about the impact of their project on the environment. Apart from air pollution caused by the flying dust particles, it has been observed that quarry mining projects leave the environment with large depressions that turn into lakes in the rain season; threatening both humans and livestock. Such land degradation is not ideal for an area already receiving tourist revenue due to its scenery and the rock paintings. It’s archaeological significance and cultural heritage symbolism needs to be conserved for future generations” said Mutodi.
Mutodi has been previously accused by the Domboshava community of sabotaging the project because it is being facilitated by an opposition councillor whom he thought would get credit if the project becomes a success.
The Minister was also accused of spreading false information to his people in which he told them that they were going to be relocated to Gokwe which sources say was not true and was never proposed as a solution.
Sources accuse Mutodi of sabotaging the project because he didn’t benefit from it. They claim Mutodi believed the project was worth USD500 million and would have supported it if given some shares in the project which in actual fact according to the company papers has just an initial worth of USD5 million.