- March 17, 2020
- Posted in LOCAL
Zimbabwe President has declared Coronavirus a national disaster.
In his State of the Nation Address at State House this afternoon, President Emmerson Mnangagwa says all activities will resume once Government is satisfied that the country is no longer at risk.
“Government has decided to postpone, curtail or cancel public events, gatherings and activities,” he said. “We must join hands working with the rest of the world on fighting this virus even though it has not yet crossed our borders. We must have a national response plan. Humanity is at risk and stands at hazardous crossroads,” said President Mnangagwa.
The declaration will entail the following:
- Gatherings of more than 100 people banned including church gatherings, weddings for the next 60 days
- ZITF & Independence celebrations have been cancelled with funds budgeted for these events to be diverted to help fight against COVID-19
- All government institutions to be capacitated to carry out Coronavirus tests;
- Monthly national clean-up exercise must be vigilant and ensure the risk;
- Cognisant of the fact that schools are closing in a fortnight the government has chosen to leave schools open. Dates for re-opening of schools to be announced;
- The government discourages any travel from high -risk countries. Those coming from these countries will be quarantined for 14 days;
- Major ports of entry will remain open, with rigorous screening while smaller border posts will be closed;